Sunday, June 28, 2009

Gonna Make You Sweat

a recent spiteful remark by someone and the fact that i looked more like a panda myself in the pics created an impetus in me to actually change.

i had been at the bottom of the pit, feeling so low what with my mother's demise and the depression due to teaching at my current school, but a conversation with my niece Inas led me to the decision.

that i'm not going to just whine and do nothing about it.

that i'm going to change my life and the rest can just go and tut! themselves.

and so, i decided to go on a diet for the umpteenth time to lose the belly fat that is visible in the pics.

the first week was okay, but then i decided to make another major decision. inspired by The Biggest Loser tv programme, i decided to join a gym (which i avoided like plague in the past). i hated the gym because it looked so... masculiny and complicated. besides it's costly to become a member. 6 years back, i could lose 17kgs just on sheer discipline and determination. and back then i was on study leave. now, i'm a working woman in KL and sheer complacency in red with two horns can just create all sorts of excuses and play the devil with my will. But The Biggest Loser made the gym so attractive, as attractive as Chilli's or Secret Recipe.

which was why, on one of my excursions to KLCC, i decided to stop by at a fitness centre and check it out. the staff is friendly enough, calling me "kak" ("kak" is better than "makcik" or "nenek"). as the staff brought me to the gym, i couldn't believe it because i got excited when i saw rows of treadmills, cross trainers and other equipment; and the studio with the mirrors. i instantly signed up for 6 months.

on the first day, i was intimidated by the others who looked so poised and knew what they were doing. i couldn't even operate the treadmill on my own. one lady looked as if she came out from the Nike ad- with all the sweat, she still looked fabulous on the treadmill in that small t shirt which i know i couldnt fit. at least not in the near future. i joined the step aerobics - an exercise which i'm familiar with. but after 15 minutes i pancited and decided to do something else. it turned out that the class was an advanced class, and there were a lot of jumping with no intervals and also pirouetting. the next morning i had a major migraine plus photo phobia.

that did not deter me from going to the gym in the evening.

now, a week later, i must say that exercising has helped to improve my moods tremendously. my steps are lighter, and other than just fatigue, i'm okay.

hope to look fab during raya!




4 comments:

Ina said...

Dear Nora,

I also need to lose weight. I'll try fasting during bulan rejab ni. So, today's my first day puasa...Wish me luck too...

rozana said...

Good luck Nora.. Go Nora Go...:-D

Art said...

GOOD LUCK!

hgehehe tcer i joined celebrity fitness too

i lost 8 kg :)

but im still fat lol

FiQ said...

well done teacher.. keep on going... hehe good luck with the gym plan..
i need to workout myself... my trousers can be worn by my PREGNANT wife... huhu...