Monday, May 17, 2010

my attempt at making low-fat cookies

ever since i started my workout regime, i've been in a dilemma. a major dilemma. i love eating, and yet i've to watch what i eat. no more baking cakes, no more donuts, no more sweet drinks. in short, my life has become dull with no frills to entice me and instead i've to eat like a utilitarian or like a patient in a hospital - i eat to survive.
i use no-added sugar peanut butter and jam on my toasts, and eat low-cholesterol eggs instead of ordinary ones.i now love asam laksa and tom yam, instead of heavy curries and all those coconut milk based dishes. no more nasi lemak for me! instead of eating sweet muffins or buns, i make my own healthier version, using applesauce. 

last 2 weeks i bought Oat Krunch, and i love the dark chocolate ones, love it so much that i'm willing to bake. of course, i don't know the exact recipe, so i googled. in the end, i found a recipe on Allrecipes, only that it isn't low fat, but i decided to substitute margarine with good old applesauce. i was happy because i put all the goodness in - cocoa, rolled oats, wheat germ and wheat bran, raisins, roasted almonds... the only problem is, the cookies werent crispy. they're chewy and a bit soft in texture.
only a few minutes ago i read an article that says that without fat, the cookies won't crisp. oh great.no wonder i had to bake for god knows how long. well i learnt my lesson. next time i'll use a bit of butter alongside the applesauce.

No comments: