Sunday, January 25, 2009

Losing My Mother

as i'm writing this, my family members are huddled together, as my mother has gone into comma since 4am.

i miss my mother so much now. it's hard to see her laboured breathing, knowing full well she's suffering. i spent the last 3 days with my mother at the hospital, and although i got a scolding from a sibling for wasting my precious 7 day leave (i took 2 days), i considered that as my filial duty to my mother, something that is natural, to show my love for her.

i must say that before i was a selfish brat. i admit that. being the youngest, i always thought about myself, and not about others. my parents love me so much, they catered to my every need. but after my mother was diagnosed with cancer, after going through some life-changing experiences such as going for umrah, i 've become a better person and muslim. i appreciate my mother now, and regret my selfish past actions and words. i didnt mean to hurt her feelings, and that's why i wanted to atone my mistakes by being with her in her last few days.

it's painful to see her suffer. she has to undergo a lot of examinations and treatments. but my mother is a fighter, right even before she lapsed into comma, she was still fighting, trying to pull off the oxygen mask as she hated it.

we have a family joke that if my mother scolds people (eg. me, the maid or the nurses) that means she's ok. we would sigh in relief and laugh if she does that, because we know she's ok. she's still with us.

but we're not laughing anymore, she's not talking, and i hate seeing my mother suffer. i miss her so much now - her soothing touch when i had dengue fever, her willingness to cook my favourite dishes, and her patience for enduring my selfishness.

i love you, mother. so much. and i miss you.

6 comments:

Sizuka said...

nora, i tried calling u but tak dpt. aku received ur sms abt 3am this morning, was too sleepy to give u a call coz iman demam. take care, be strong. if u need some1 to talk to, u know i'll always be there.

Ina said...

Dear Nora,

I just read your post. So sorry to hear about your mother. Hope she's going to be allright. Take care.

Ina said...

Dear Nora,

I just read your post. So sorry to hear about your mother. Hope she's going to be allright. Take care.

NINI said...

Nora,
Mak Nora masih berada bersama2 Nora,masih tidak kehilangannya...dia masih terus ada di hati nora.Selamanya.
semoga tabah dan sabar melalui segala dugaan ini.didoakan agar bonda nora juga kuat hadapi kesakitan di saat ini.
Ya Allah!Berilah sepenuh kekuatan kepada umatMu ini menghadapi dugaan yang amat berat ini.

Anonymous said...

dear ticer..
i just read your post. very sorry to hear about your mother. takziah from me, my wife and family.
i know u would have the same fighter spirit your mother has to go thru all this.

sincerely
fiqaz

Anonymous said...

dear ticer..
i just read your post. very sorry to hear about your mother. takziah from me, my wife and family.
i know u would have the same fighter spirit your mother has to go thru all this.

sincerely
fiqaz